Thursday, September 1, 2011

Adjusting

This past Sunday we moved in with our host families in Leon. It has definitely been an interesting experience, and taken a lot of adjusting. We all live within about a 10 of 15 minute walk of each other, which is nice, and our host families are willing to let us go out by ourselves if we're together or going to each others houses (yesterday was the first day I was allowed to walk to somebody's house besides megan, who lives the closest, by myself). They're pretty protective of us!
It was really overwhelming at first to have to talk to them in Spanish all the time and try to figure out how to communicate. I only understand about half of what they are saying... often because they're just talking to fast. Yesterday I got really excited because I talked with my mama for almost an hour without her saying "entiendes" (which means 'do you understand'). It's getting easier and easier as the days go on. And I can tell that I'm getting better at communicating with them, although it's still difficult. They have trouble pronouncing my name, because there is nothing like it in Spanish. My sisters call me "Malo". My mama just rolls her eyes and says "malorie" really really slowly. It's cute to listen to.
My family goes to bed pretty early. But it's okay because I'm exhausted too. We're all pretty much in our rooms at 8. I turn out my light at around 9 or 9:30 most nights. I fall asleep pretty fast too. However, I usually wake up at 4 or 5 in the morning. my alarm goes of at about 6:30. Our classes start at 8 and go till noon. Right now the afternoon is free for us. But that's gonna change as the semester gets further underway.
So this week has definitely been an adjusting time. But it's been good, and it continues to get better. I'm excited for more classes and to get to learn more about the culture. I think it's going to be a great semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment