Monday, December 5, 2011

Final Thoughts...

These next few days are going to go by so fast! Today we are in Managua doing final presentations, tomorrow we have one more presentation in Leon, and then we just have Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday in Leon. Wednesday night we have our despedida, or goodbye party. Thursday morning we leave Leon and spend Thursday in Managua. Friday we fly home. Really there isn’t much left to the semester, which is crazy.

I have some things that I am very excited to get back to in the United States. I am excited for things like my family, friends, different food (that doesn’t include rice every day and beans at least every other day), hot showers, my own bed, and many other things. There will definitely be things to get used to again though.

First and foremost – the COLD!! We were cold when we visited Costa Rica up in the mountains and it was probably 60*F. I am going home to winter. I have accepted the fact that I am going to freeze… and asked my mom to take sure that there is plenty of hot chocolate and tea in the house!

FOOD – I am so used to having rice with everything and beans with almost everything. I am also used to having a tortilla with everything. I am looking forward to NOT having this every day. However, my sister, aunt, or mama goes to the market every morning here and buys the food for the day, so everything is fresh. I will have to get used to having some food that has been processed again. I’m a little bit worried about how my stomach will handle it. However, I am also very excited to eat food that I like again… not that I dislike Nicaraguan food… it just won’t ever be my favorite.

PRICES here are really really low. 22 cordobas (the Nicaraguan currency) is the equivalent of 1 dollar. I can go to CafĂ© la Rosita (where we go probably at least once a week) and get the equivalent of a starbucks frappuccino for 20 cordobas. I really enjoy that price. I will be sad to go back to starbucks and have to pay lots of money for stuff. Everything here is cheap, and in stores and the market, you are expected to barter with the vendors. If you don’t, they are excited because they get more money than they were expecting. I will be very sad when I see the prices of things back home.

I am sure that there are things that I will miss about Nicaragua, for sure my family and the friends that I have made. However, I am very ready to be home. This has been the longest that I have ever been away from home. I think it has been good for me, and I have definitely learned a lot. However, I am looking forward to spending some time at home with my family before going back to school again in January. I hope to travel more and have different adventures. But for now, I’m just going to focus on finishing school, more travel can happen when I’m done.

No comments:

Post a Comment